I usually take the time to write my own blog posts but this could simply not be said any better. Great tips for a very reputable source.
Eating On the Go in a Healthier Way
March 18, 2010 · Leave a Comment
As CEO of your household, you probably feel like there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done! Getting kids ready for school, driving all over town, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning…the list goes on and on… and to top it off everyone in the family needs to be fed! Putting together meals and snacks in itself can be overwhelming, let alone thinking about eating healthfully. No need to pull your hair out, here are some tips that may help ease some of your stress:
First things first, it’s always easier if you eat the same foods your kids are eating…so it’s time to shape up their diets as well! You don’t need junk, either do they.
• Swap out the chips for a string cheese and whole grain crackers
• Pour out the juice and have the whole fruit dipped in natural peanut butter instead
• Drop the chocolate covered granola bars and have a Lara bar
• Toss the ranch dressing and dip those veggies and crackers in hummus
• Skip the cookies and have some trail mix
• Throw out the ham and cheese sandwich and enjoy a peanut butter and jelly
• Forget the ice cream, slice a banana and fill it with peanut butter (like a sandwich) and freeze it for a treat. Munch on some frozen grapes instead of potato chips.
When it comes to meals, make sure to watch the portion and ensure balance on the plate. Have a fistful of carbohydrates (ex: rice, pasta, bread, potato, etc), a palmful of protein (ex: fish, chicken, turkey, beef, etc) and then fill up the rest of the plate with veggies. *These portions may change depending on activity levels
It’s best to cook in bulk when you have some free time, for example on Sunday’s when the kids are out playing or at a friend’s house. Bake multiple chicken breasts, make a large pot of rice, sauté up some veggies and separate into Tupperware… either throw in the fridge or freezer.
It’s also a smart idea to keep soda out of the house, this will help increase your water consumption. If water bores you try and spice it up a bit…add some lemon or some berries to add some sweetness.
Eating well doesn’t have to be overwhelming, keep it simple and remember that you will have better energy and be stronger and leaner if stay active and fuel your body with quality fuel and fluids!!
Denise Barry R.D.