So what does a gluten free and dairy free runner eat anyway? I get the question all the time, “what do you eat”… as if I am totally deprived not being able to eat dairy or gluten. Well, I am not deprived at all, just need to be a bit more creative and be willing to spend a bit more on groceries (gluten free foods are not always easy to find and CAN cost a bit more $). So here are the typical meals in my life. Very simple, easy to digest, and healthy (for the most part).
Pre- AM Run: coffee (black, no additions) and a gluten free cereal bar OR gluten free toast with honey
Post-AM Run: smoothie (1 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 c. frozen berries, 1 frozen banana, and 1 sc. hemp protein from Trader Joes, and 1 sc. Body Ecology Super Greens AND 2 pieces Udi’s gluten free toast with jam or pumpkin butter
Snack: piece of fruit and sometimes more coffee
Run or 2nd workout
Post-workout: Recovery drink… Endurox (I can tolerate the small amount of Whey protein) or another smoothie (see above). AND later on before dinner; corn tortilla chips and salsa or guacamole, raw veggies, and a few olives. (my favorite snack)
Dinner: (typical choices)
1. Huge vegetable salad with 3 oz. of protein (tofu, chicken, shrimp/salmon) and probably more tortilla chips
2. Sunshine vegetable burger and additional vegetables (usually raw) tortilla chips and salsa
3. Gluten free brown rice pasta/ Brown rice/ or Quinoa 1 cup, 2+ cups of vegetables.
4. Amy’s gluten free frozen organic meal. (I always have to add vegetables cause these are always to small)
5. Soup (chicken, vegetable) and 2 pieces gluten free toast.
Desert: Fruit and usually a bowl of gluten free cereal with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. OR Recoverite ice cream (blend 1 sc.Hammer Recoverite (I like chocolate), 1 frozen banana, 1 pkt stevia or honey to sweeten, dash of salt).
My favorite added treats:
• SUSHI. spicy scallop rolls, crazy tuna rolls, hirame, ahi tuna, vegetable rolls, white tuna, shrimp rolls, the list goes on!
• Starbucks Grande Soy 1 pump pumpkin, 1 pump sugar free vanilla Pumpkin Spice Latte
•Nature\’s Path Gluten Free Buckwheat Wildberry Waffles with REAL maple syrup
• Hummus, rice crackers, olives from the olive bar and a glass of wine or a cosmo … (ok, I said mostly healthy) 😉
• Endless bowl of sea salt and lime tortilla chips, fresh homemade pico de gallo and home-made guacamole … oh and a margarita on ice 😉
Check out all the great eats that one can enjoy. Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and for the most part healthy!!!!!!!!! Ok, I am off to eat AGAIN 🙂